OUR RESPONSE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC
Book Drive for Kids has already completed most of our scheduled free book fairs this school year. We hope to be able to hold our final three free book fairs at the end of May to launch summer reading emphasis here in Denton County.
It is an understatement to say that all of our lives are filled with uncertainty and change. Our educational system is just one of those areas to experience tremendous disruption. Thousands of children and teachers have abruptly switched to online or distance learning, including my own two high schoolers. We had to create study space, set-up devices, and find a whole new schedule!
For children in low-income homes this creates additional hurdles. Some don’t have easy internet access, separate dedicated study space, and/or learning tools & supplies at home. Many of their parents struggle to help with academic lessons due to working or their own weak educational experiences. The COVID-19 crisis highlights the need to have children’s books IN THEIR HOMES.
That’s where YOU can help!
Book Drive for Kids has already been contacted by organizations and schools interested in getting books into the hands of their students in need. Since we are all sequestered at home, now is a great time to help those books your kids have outgrown find a new home.
April 23rd is World Book Day. In celebration, Book Drive for Kids is launching the Share A Book initiative. Together we fulfill our mission: to create a culture of literacy by providing books to disadvantaged children for independent reading.
- Download the Share A Book digital flier at https://bookdriveforkids.com/shareabook/.
- Distribute electronically to your friends and neighbors, identifying your front porch as a drop-site.
- Share a picture of your Share A Book Day collection at #ShareABookDay and/or #BookDrive4Kids.
- Once you have collected your books, complete the Share A Book Day form at https://bookdriveforkids.com/shareabook/ and we will contact you to pick up your donations.
- You will receive recognition of your participation. This event can count as community service hours.
We accept donations of new books, targeted at children preK to 6th grade. Visit our Amazon Wish List of high demand book titles.
We also accept donations of gently-used books, targeted for children preK to 6th grade. They should be in good condition and without water damage. They cannot be torn or annotated. Limited writing, such as a name, can be covered with the Book Drive for Kids bookplates.