Our mission is to promote literacy in Central Texas by providing books to disadvantaged youth.
We know that disadvantaged children have a lack of access to books in their homes and as a result are significantly behind their peers academically.
BY THE NUMBERS
of Texas 4th grade students are not reading at the proficient level*
Children are reading less each day due to restrictions by the COVID-19 pandemic which has limited access to books at school and local libraries.
Austin public libraries were not fully open to the public for browsing for and had curbside pickup only for more than one year during the pandemic.
Students doing virtual schooling may not have access to their own school’s library.
Children lost 116 days of reading time during the early stages of the pandemic last year, on average, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Our aim is to help students who have limited access to books at home get introduced to the joy of reading and improve their reading skills.
We partner with Title I schools serving a large percentage of disadvantaged children to provide FREE books at campus book fairs for students to take home. Each student gets to pick one new or like new book to add to their home library. If donations allow, we provide a bonus table where students can choose an additional book.
We also provide books to youth in foster care placements, residential treatment centers and group homes.
Current partners include:
- Central Texas Table of Grace (emergency placement center for foster care youth);
- Austin Angels (supporting foster families);
- Learning Bridge (connecting tutors to students in foster care);
- the Texas Baptist Children’s Home (serving single moms and their families); and
- Title I schools in the Central Texas region.
TO DATE, BOOK DRIVE FOR KIDS AUSTIN HAS
We are currently in need of the following:
- NEW or gently used books
- Cash Donations to buy books in volume
- In-demand books purchased off our Amazon Wish List
- Usborne book boxes
- Graphic design work for designing a bookmark
- Companies willing to be a book donation site
- Companies willing to donate warehouse space
- Volunteers to work at book fairs
If you have books to donate in Austin, please reach out to Brooke at email@example.com to arrange a drop off or book pick up.
*Reading Is Fundamental, National Assessment of Educational Progress Data